Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Tired Baby

It is 23:32 at the time I am writing this. Logan is awake and playful. This is a major problem.

Logan does not fall asleep at bedtime. When he was released from the NICU I spoke to them specifically about his bedtime habits so I could mirror them at home. I spoke about his napping habits. I tried to figure out how best to get him to sleep on a regular schedule for him. I did not care if my sleep suffered, I thought that made me a good father. Apparently the good father thing, is the thing to do if you want your child to eventually wander into an unhealthy sleeping patter. Tomorrow we begin a fun, new little program to help us learn when to sleep and when not to. Hopefully this will teach him what being tired is and he will learn the appropriate response:

Logan and I will wake up around 0600 every day. I do not expect this of Amber, after all she works third shift and is still at work at 0600. Waking him will be the first thing I do. Not even getting dressed will come first.

After getting dressed and snacking we will take a walk. Nothing major, just around the block at first. Eventually it may get bigger, since I don't need to leave to get Amber until about 0700 or so.

Around 0800 I should be home, even on the days Amber works, we will eat breakfast at this time. Afterwards we will set up his bouncer in the kitchen and I will do the dishes.

By 0900 the dishes should be done, and we will go to the living room. This will be play time. But it will be play time with a purpose. I will use this time to try to get him to chase me back and forth across the house. He will learn to crawl better. He will eventually learn to run. When he gets bigger this will be done outside, maybe at a park.

By 1000, whether he actually is or not, we will be bored with the park. We will go home and watch a movie or something to that effect. This will be his first chance for a nap.

At 1100, regardless of if he is asleep or not, we will begin to make lunch, eat lunch, and then do the dishes. If the house needs tidying up this will be the time to put Logan in his bouncer (for now) and clean house. Later in life I will hand him the mini-vac and tell him to go nuts. He will, inevitably, vacuum something that does not need it. He may also suck up something important. I will learn to keep thing put away properly. Until then... the mini-vac is unlikely to actually damage anything but paper.

By now it should be 1200 and Logan may be getting sleepy. This will not be allowed to go anywhere. We may go for a second walk, chase some more, or just go outside. I suppose we will need a garden, that will give me (and when he is older, Logan) something to do.

It should be 1300 by now, if not later. We will come inside and put on a movie. He can sleep now, for one hour from when he naps out. If he should not fall asleep before 1400 he will not get a second nap. But, being generous I shall allow bedtime to be early that night, more on that later.

It should be between 1400 and 1500 now. It will be snack time, and while we eat we will think about dinner, which will be at 1800. But that is for later. From the end of snack time till dinner time will be more play time. If he did not take a second nap it will be play with dad time, to ensure he does not fall asleep. If he IS capable of playing (somewhat) on his own I will use this time to figure out dinner. If dinner is already taken care of we'll just pop in another movie, and provided it ends before 1800 we'll get to watch the whole thing.

It should now be 1700, and depending on the complexity of dinner we will start making it now. When Logan is small he will be able to play in his bouncer, or on the floor with some toys. When he is older he will be able to be my go-fer. When he is older still, he will help me cook. Or Amber, or whoever is cooking. Regardless of the details, he is the designated assistant chef.

At 1800 we will eat, rest our bellies a short while, then we will begin trying to wear Logan out. This will continue until he is on the edge of passing out. I will then continue playing, but not specifically to tire him out. When he is unable to stay awake any more (it will be tricky until I figure out where that point is) I will pick him up and rock him in my arms while I walk to his room. If Amber is home she may do this. In either case the other of us should be preparing his g-tube for the night. Before he falls asleep we will hook him up, and put on a movie for him to fall asleep to.

By now it should be anywhere from 1900-2100 and Logan should be in bed asleep. I will, at this time, sweep, vacuum, mop, etc... at first the noise of the vacuum will wake him back up, even if I close the door. This is ok, he will get used to it eventually and be able to sleep through it. From the point where he falls asleep, till we do, will be mom and dad time.

Thoughts? Local people, is Columbia Street a safe place to be walking around at 0600?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I fixed it to where anyone can post comments.