Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Thursday, September 15, 2011

SUPRISE

I got a call today at about 9am from an unknown number. Well that's odd. I picked up pretty sleepily and it was a nurse from Carle. She says to me, "I've got Dr. Browne here to talk to you. He's the neonatal surgeon." All I could think to myself at the moment was, "yeah lady, I've been around every day, twice or more times a day. I know nearly every staff member and their mothers."

She hands the phone to Dr. Browne (which I laugh inside a little because they had to explain to him that they called me so he could explain what's going on. I guess 1) he wasn't expecting to talk to me and 2) they don't realize how loud they talk because they set the phone on the counter.).

Dr. Brown asks me if I can come it at 10am to sign the consent form. They were prepping him for surgery.

Now, I knew he was going to need surgery. He was vomiting all his food and was in pain every time they fed him. I figured, surely they would give me a day to mentally prepare myself. Shows you how wrong I was. I got an hour. It's probably a good thing to get this done. I mean, the TPN and Lipids were killing his liver. He seems more jaundice every time I see him. Though, the first time they noticed that the barium they made him swallow stopped dead in its tracks they could have said, "if there is a blockage there or anywhere else we're going to do surgery tomorrow." That would be awesome. I could have warned my boss a little sooner (though I'm sure a 7 hour notice was sufficient).

Anywho, his surgery took a little over 3 hours. He had scar tissue around his last surgery site on his intestine that caused his intestine to wall off. They took about 2 more inches of intestine out and then checked his bowel again to make sure everything looked okay. They gave him some blood. Not because he was bleeding a lot, but because it was just a little low.

When he got out of surgery he looked okay. He fidgeted a little but the anesthesia was wearing off. They're giving him fentenol every 2 hours and he can have tylonal along with that if he needs it. At about 8pm they extubated him and he went to 2 liters of oxygen on a high flow nasal cannula.

Lets hope this is it. I never want to see my baby cut up again. It's just making me so ill watching his body, which is so new, be riddled with scars and pokes.

We love you so much, Logan. I'm sorry this is happening to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I fixed it to where anyone can post comments.