Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Waiting game explained

I complained up a storm (actually I used the "B" word but I'm trying to clean it up a bit) and pushed my weight at as angry mom and they called a teleconference with the surgeon. I explained that he is in extreme pain and cannot sleep and I am tired of the "wait and see" attitude. He finally explained WHY we are waiting and seeing. Apparently he thinks the stool isn't going everywhere in his abdomen but is using the tunnel they created when he had the ostomy. They think that the stool is coming out exactly where they made the ostomy and it is coming out just like it did before. If they are correct they believe that it will heal on its own, but just take a little time. If the stool increases, though, they expect that it is coming out at a different place and it will need to be surgically repaired. They are calling in the wound care team to look at the hole on his skin. The stool is "digesting" his skin and so it's VERY painful. He is still getting versed (a good pain killer) every so often which is keeping him calm. They plan to feed him again sometime today so we'll see what happens.

Meanwhile they did start giving him antibiotics just in case. I INSISTED on this. The e coli thing was the scariest moment in my life and I'll be DAMNED if I see it repeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I fixed it to where anyone can post comments.